This is the Antietum Iron Works Bridge. It is located not far from Lock 34 on the C & O canal, near Harper's Ferry. There are a lot of bridges standing and still in use with this design. This stream runs about a mile further down line and under a portion of the Canal that is now used for walking, jogging, and biking. Parts of the canal have been restored and you can actually ride a barge for a short journey being pulled by the mule teams just like the barges did when they moved freight in the 1800's. I really don't remember ever hearing about, or studying about this in history when I was in school and it covers several hundred miles. We want to visit and see as much of it as possible and so there will be more pictures I am sure.
This is a portion of the canal near Williamsport MD. What you are looking at is the mule path and the canal. Unfortunately most of the canal has gone back to nature and holds only fallen trees, rain water and other wild foilage. The path is maintained by the park service though and they even have rangers that ride much of it on bikes keeping an eye out for those who use that path.
The last picture is of Williamsport. This is one of the locations where the barges loaded and off loaded their frieght. Well I thought it was neat and I hope you like the pics.
Jane and I are rowing. Slowly and surely. The machine is the same type I used in AZ. but I am a LOT more out of shape than I was then and it is like starting from scratch all over again. I used to row for 30 minutes at a good rate. . . We've been rowing for a whopping two days now, and 5 minutes is where we stop. It's doing what it is supposed too as we are aching and creaking and squeaking, moaning and groaning.. . But, Like I have always said! " HEALTH HURTS!!!"... lol
1 comment:
Here is a little Exercise Physiology for you: the rate of loss is much more significant than the rate of gain. That being said if you didn't exercise for a week it's going to take up to three weeks to get back to where you were a week ago. I am in the same boat as you two though. With graduation and moving and not having access to a gym I am out of shape...but I will get a gym membership soon and get back to work like you! Oh, and what a beautiful bridge! I love old bridges. I also enjoyed your Charlie slideshow, he's very cute!
Post a Comment