Monday, June 1, 2009

Our first trip to Washington D.C.

There are no words to describe what waits for a person when they visit the Nation's Capital for the first time... The experience is different for each and every person that goes I am sure. For me, to see the what I have shared here in these pictures. The Lincoln Memorial, The Washington Memorial, The Capital building, The White House... Each comes with its own set of thoughts and emotions. The National Mall stretches for two miles with the Capital Building on one end, The Washington Monument in the middle, and the Lincoln Memorial at the other end.
The Lincoln Memorial is Beautiful and you would never have guessed how immense it is in size from all the movies, postcards, pictures, books etc... When you see it, you find yourself silent like a child staring with your mouth open, not believing what is in front of you.


Even with this picture of the outside, only the people give you an idea to the scale of this Memorial. And it in no way does justice to its beauty.

The Washington Monument is amazing... We will be back to take the tour up inside of it. Everything that you look at, every place you go... to think that you can visit here and see all that there is to see and leave in a day... We will be going back for years I venture to guess and never see everything that there is to see. It is almost like you have to chose one place to visit, one monument, or museum... and plan your day around that.


This is obviously our Nations Capital building. once again to see the vastness, the tremendous size... It is overwhelming. You are not allowed inside unless by tour maybe during the week... I have to find out about that. It is after all where our nations leaders work.



This is the White House. I had heard that Pennsylvania Avenue had been closed to car traffic after 9-11. It is only accessible by foot traffic now. The grounds as far as the eye can see are pristine. It was near the end of our day, and by the time we got to it we were all beat to a pulp. It seems that once you arrive you are drawn to keep going... from one Memorial, to the next... to the next. If you were to walk from the Lincoln Memorial in a strait line to the Capital Building and back you have walked 4 miles. But, in reality you must add in the stairs, the Memorial Wall, The World War II Memorial, the National Archives (Where the Constitution is displayed). The Smithsonian (which each building is a separate visit for a day trip I am sure)... We saw the Jefferson memorial at a distance, Did not get to Arlington National Cemetery, or the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and I am certain there is much more that we didn't see.
I deliberately left out pictures of some of the things I have mentioned that we did see. I guess for me they have a different place, and a different time to be shared. For now I hope you enjoy what is here... and know that there is more to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely sharing these pictures and your moving descriptions of your visit. So much more impressive than we see on the television.x