Tuesday, October 7, 2008

You're not going to belive this!

Sorry,

Still no pictures, but they are coming. .. Monday I had my boss come over and take a couple of dead trees down for me (I don't have a chain saw, or I would have done it myself). Anyway. .. The first one was a little one and it came down fine. The second one was rotten at the base of the tree and when Mike went to notch it, he took too big a bite. . . The tree bit back and he couldn't get his saw free. We then got my truck and put a strap around the tree to pull it up off of the saw. This worked well! The saw free, Mike finished the cut. The tree fell as we thought it would, but... ( there's always a "but" in a story like this) The tree was so tall it fell into the branches of the nearest Oak tree and stood there at an angle. I lowered the strap and was going to pull the bottom away thinking the tree would continue to fall strait down and land on the ground. . . Someone forgot to tell the tree what it was "supposed" to do. SO... instead it rolled off the limbs of the mighty Oak tree, bounced off the roof of the bathroom and onto the garage. It poked a hole in the roof of the garage! . . . AAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!
Needless to say, I for one feel like a truck load of Horse Hockey! I broke our brand new house! Well, I had to get up on the roof and get the tree off of the roof. The tree was so tall it snapped off and laid on the side of the garage over the porch. The roof is steep. . . REALLY ... R-E-A-L-L-Y STEEP! ( I can not stand up strait and keep my footing - steep!). Well, we managed to get the tree, limbs and all the debris from this fiasco off the roof and Mike cut everything up and will be burning it in his fireplace this winter. Everything else will go to the landfill in the spring.
Jane and I went to Lowe's and I got a sheet of OSB plywood and some contractor's cement and roof sealer that is water proof. and some wood screws. I got up in the attic and cut away at the hole and made a plug that fit nice and tight. I sealed it, glued it in place and then put another piece of OSB under it and glued and screwed that to the good part of the roof surrounding the hole. I then got up on the roof and did the same with the other side of the plug. For now the area missing the shingles is covered in the roofing adhesive and sealant. Mike knows a contractor who can match the shingles and when I get those I will go back up and repair that as well.
I really don't believe I did that!

SHEEEESH!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you got some pictures of that fiasco!!

Jane, Tom, and Charlie said...

Nope... Never... I say NEVER leave evidence of a job gone wrong! Just Fix it and get rid of the evidence! ... Hey! It was enough that I told on myself!

Karla said...

Wow I wish I had been there to see that...
Did you get it on film for Americas Funniest Video???
Sorry I am still laughing.

Jane, Tom, and Charlie said...

No... there is no video... Some people just have a warped sense of humor! . . . Glad I could make your day.